Monday, May 3, 2010

New Pillowcases!

This weekend I finally made pillowcases! I have had this fabric for a long time.  I bought it because it goes perfectly with our bedroom color and it has birds and flowers on it!  The color might not show up correctly on everyone's monitor, but it's between cornflower blue and dusty lavender.

I used this blog tutorial to help me figure it out.  But I had to adjust the size because we both like really wimpy pillows.  I cut my fabric to 42''x 28.5'' for the main body fabric and 42''x 10'' for the edge fabric. I ended up using bias ribbon for the divider line fabric mostly because it was the only thing I could find in the correct color.  But you could use fabric or ribbon. It is also best to finish your edges now with the zig zag stitch ( I don't have a serger).



I also altered the way she attached the edge fabric. My way hides all the seams. I made a diagram below.


Make sure to pin the bias ribbon only to the top layer first.  It is important to get it even and straight here.


Then go back and pin the main body fabric.  At this point you can pin through all the layers.

After sewing this together it's easy.  Just fold with right sides inside and sew the edges.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's pretty fabric Vanessa. Lovely to sleep on. Does it make babies sleepy?

Jamie