Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Wabi Sabi Desert Plants



One morning when we were in Santa Fe we woke up early and went for a walk.  George's goal was to look for birds and mine was to photograph anything that caught my eye.  It is amazing what you can see if you walk slowly and really take time in the desert.  At first it might appear like endless junipers and dry arroyos, but if you stop and really get up close there are incredible things to see everywhere.

When I got home and looked at my photos I realized the majority of them were of dried out seed pods.  This always make me think of my favorite wabi-sabi books so I pulled them out and found this nice quote to end with from "Wabi-Sabi for Artists, Designers, Poets, & Philosophers" by Leonard Koren:

"Though things wabi-sabi may be on the point of dematerialization (or materialization) - extremely faint, fragile, or desiccated - they still possess an undiminished poise and strength of character."







No comments: