Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Trumpet Vine


I know it's August when the corners of the driveway start to disappear in trumpet vines.  Last week I decided it was time to take the driveway back and when I got out there I couldn't bear to throw the flowers away.  I wasn't sure how trumpet vines would do in a flower arrangement but I was pleasantly surprised.  Their saggy heads looked beautiful all together and they lasted about three days before dropping to the floor. 

At times I think the vines in my back yard will be the end of me and when I read this quote by Abraham Lincoln I thought it was appropriate, "Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?"  Even though I was literally trying to destroy them, I do feel a bit friendlier towards them now.  I think we may even have a peace treaty - I give them the driveway for a month and then I cut their heads off for a nice flower arrangement...and everyone is happy.

No comments: