Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Erosion Sand Bags



On our trip to Isle of Palms, SC I took a morning walk every day around the top of the island and each day I had to traverse these erosion sand bags.  At first I thought, "How distasteful!  Someone built their condo way to close to the beach and didn't leave any dunes for protection!" 

But soon I was oddly attracted to those erosion sand bags.  I just couldn't get enough of them.  The forms and shapes produced by the eroding bags were stunning!


And look at the way the light illuminated their soft, bulbous bodies!


And when I saw the bag in the photo below it made me laugh to think how the ocean had slowly, wave after wave, molded this sandbag into a jellyfish!  Quite the artiste!


At times the tide was so high I had to climb on top of the bags just to get around the tip of the island.






I suppose there are many lessons to be learned from this situation...like, don't build buildings right next to the ocean with no dunes.  But I also learned a lesson of a different sort.  That it is possible to find beauty everywhere if you have your eyes open...even in the most unlikely of places.


No comments: