Thursday, October 2, 2008

Embroidery

I am so excited for my first post! Recently I have been obsessed with embroidery design. I have been buying embroidery books, I look at embroidery on the web, I check out library books about embroidery design... you get the picture.

So a good friend of mine recently had her second baby and I thought, "OK, now or never!" So I have never embroidered before, but this is how it went.

I started off with a sketch, which I traced in Illustrator.




I used this black and white version for tracing. I would tape it and my fabric to the window and then trace my design using one of those evaporating fabric markers. I usually only traced enough for an hours worth of work, otherwise it would evaporate. The marker usually lasted about 3 hours.

I also did about a million options for the colors. Below I have shown 2 options.

The whole thing took me probably between 8 and 10 hours to embroider. I realized that I couldn't be quite as detailed as my drawing, but that was kind of freeing in a way.


I am happy with how it turned out. I should have taken a picture of the back... not so pretty, but luckily it is framed and no one will ever see that side.

I was also super excited at doing more bird embroidery. Next time there will definately be more birds!







1 comment: