Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Frame Makeover

So I finally finished the framing project for my flea market bird prints. When I originally bought these inexpensive frames at Home Emporium and they were gold I thought, "Oh, I will just spray paint them a different color. It will be easy!" (famous, last words).

It ended up being quite a project. I first tried to paint them with some nice metallic paint I bought at Michaels but it beaded up. It was then that I realized, "Uh oh...this might require more than I thought." It ended up being a five step process:

1. Sand the frames.
2. Spray with grey primer.
3. Spray with satin nickel metallic paint.
4. Hand paint with champagne gold metallic paint.
5. Age it a bit with gunmetal grey metallic paint.

Multiply that by six frames and it ended up taking me a while. Below you can see before and after.

1 comment:

Jyoti said...

The prints look fantastic! And, the wedding pics were really nice, too...