Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Monkey Ladder Vine


Another awesome find at Bijagual was this monkey ladder vine.  This vine was down by the river and it was about as big as my arm.  I love its twisting, aged curves.  Just imaging if you set out to carve such an object...it would be impossible!

I also have to mention that the monkey ladder vine is a liana.  What is a liana you might ask?  It is "any of various long-stemmed, woody vines that are rooted in the soil at ground level and use trees, as well as other means of vertical support, to climb up to the canopy to get access to well-lit areas of the forest" (Wikipedia). 

The point of mentioning this is that the word for liana in Spanish is "bejuco" (pronounced [bay-hoo’-co]) and "bejuco" in my opinion ranks as possibly one of the cutest Spanish words I know. ¡Qué chiquitico!

No comments: