Sunday, March 25, 2012

Redbud Tree Flowers

 
The redbud trees (Cercis canadensis) around my house have been especially bountiful this year.  I took this photo yesterday in my neighbor's yard because he has a tree with low branches.  I love the way the flowers come right off the branches.  Apparently the flowers are edible and the bark can be used to treat everything from upset stomach to fever to congestion.  I will probably not be boiling bark infusions any time soon, but I am open to tasting a flower or two.  I'll let you know how that goes.  In the meantime I am signing off to go lay in the hammock!

1 comment:

Nessy said...

I tasted the redbud flower a couple days ago and I liked it. It was a little sweet and tangy but very mild. Seems like it would make a pretty topping for a spring salad.