Thursday, May 30, 2013

Backyard Bouquet



Every spring one of my favorite things to do is to make a flower arrangement from the peonies and iris in the backyard.  I looooooooooooooove peonies and plan on eventually lining the whole driveway in them.  This year two of my new varieties bloomed well for the first time.  I bought the kind that is just a big poof of yellow anthers in the middle surrounded by a single layer of petals (you can see a pale pink one below just starting to open).  Sometimes when I am working in the yard I catch a glimpse of one and they just stop me in my tracks and I have to stand there marveling at their beauty.  I don't think they last as long as the regular kind but I'm OK with that, as long as I get a day or two before the rains get them.  As I've said in past posts peonies are may favorite flower and I feel the same way about them as Emma Goldman did about her roses.

"I'd rather have peonies on my table than diamonds on my neck."


1 comment:

kelly said...

Lovely, peonies are my favorite flower by far... they are just starting to come in to the shops down here and I buy a package of them every other time I am there. Lovely photos~