Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Rising Dough in Vintage Bowls



One of the small but great joys of life has to be rising dough in vintage bowls.  Who doesn't love the soft, buttery curve of rising dough?  And the thought of what it brings?  And don't even get me started about vintage crockery!  Ever since I brought these bowls home I have been excited to do a post about them.  But before I knew it fall and winter arrived last year and I certainly couldn't do a post about these cheery, flowery bowls in the dead of winter.  So before the warm weather got away from me this year I asked George to let me know next time he was making any kind of dough.  Lucky for me last week, he was making bread and tortillas on the same day!


My mom and I found these amazing bowls at the Springfield Antique Extravaganza last spring.  We share a love of vintage bowls and we both had never seen anything like them.  The cornflower blue outer bowl and "gear" shaped base would have been enough to win me over, but add in the flowers around the rim and I fell madly in love.


Above you can see the label on the bottom of the bowls says "Hall's Superior, Tested and Approved by Mary Dunbar, Jewel Homemakers Institute, Quality Kitchenware".  When I googled it I found a very common Autumn Leaf pattern but the blue bowls were harder to find.  The only one I found on ebay was described as "uncommon." 

Apparently the company formed in the 1920's and offered a full range of dinnerware and accessories, plus a successful line of cookbooks (click here and here for more history).  I even found a website that listed all the pattern names but I couldn't figure out the name of this particular pattern.  If anyone out there knows , please leave a comment as I would love to know.



I originally intended to post George's new tortilla recipe but I think it deserves its own post.  So if vintage bowls don't float your boat, check back soon because George's homemade tortillas are incredible and worth trying.  If you can't wait then email me!


Every so often at a flea market you find something that makes your heart beat a little faster and if you are able to purchase it you feel like the luckiest girl in the world.  And the best part is, years later when you look at that purchase, you are reminded of that feeling and the wonderful memories of that day.  It was so much fun sharing that excitement with my mom and I think of her every time I see these bowls.  Thanks mom!


9 comments:

Unknown said...

I can completely relate to that kind of love and continuing to experience it every time it's used. I hope Mary Dunbar knows how much joy she continues to bring in the world!

Jim said...

I have two of these bowls with one lid. They were my Mom's as far back as I can remember and I am in my early 60s. As you describe it, my wife has used these to make dough for her bread. I just started trying to learn about them and you'rs are the first images I have found of this pattern & style though I do have two more pages to check on. One thing I learned was that Hall's used a firing process that made a finish that does not craze, unlike other china. That explains why so many pieces can be found in such good condition.
If I find out any more, I'll drop back and report it.
Jim

Nessy said...

Thank you for your comment Jim! Very interesting about the firing process. Do drop by again if you find more info on them!

Reminiscin' in the Kitchen said...

I too have one of these special bowls from my Grandmommy, who originally was from Billings, MO and then settled with my Papa in Tulsa. I was just using it, and got to wondering about the pattern name too. I would love to learn more! I am thinking about writing a song about this treasure. Ha!

Nessy said...

So glad you came across my post and got to Reminiscin! I do so love these bowls.

Thea said...

I have a bowl with the same pattern and have also searched for the pattern name with no luck. I found mine at a little dusty antique store in San Antonio, while shopping with my mom. It made me smile when I saw it and my mom said I should buy it if it makes me happy.

Nessy said...

Thea, what a lovely memory to share. These bowls will always remind us of our moms. You just reminded me I like to pull them out around this time and fill them with eggs that have been blown out. They look so pretty in these bowls and remind me that spring is coming soon. Thank you for your comment!

Jackie Cicora said...

I have one with the lid. Makes my heart happy. Would like to post a photo.

Nessy said...

Jackie, I would love to see yours with the lid. I looked it up and it is not as easy as I would have liked to post a photo. It you send it to me I will put it in the post or figure out how to add it to the comments. My email is nessydesigns@gmail.com Thank you!