Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Kohlrabi



The other day George asked if I wanted to taste the kohlrabi we got from our farm share.  Of course, my first answer was "no" and I would have continued going on about my business... but I turned around and saw him holding the most incredibly fantastic object.  This purple beauty had quite a rotund, purple body with bizarre thin arms that reached upwards creating a "cage" of sorts and ending in leafy greens.  I was so struck by it that we immediately took it outside and photographed it against the fence.  And by a stroke of luck the light at that moment was magical and streamed over the fence to illuminate this mythical vegetable.

“The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper.”― W.B. Yeats

2 comments:

THE ACCIDENTAL CHICKEN said...

Beautiful! How does George cook it? Kohlrabi is one of my new fave vegs. Sp far I've not been too adventurous in my cooking technique beyond cubing the bulb & stems (saving leaves for soup or saute) and then sauteeing in coconut oil and heavily seasoned w/ cumin (plus s&p.) Delicious. Hope you all are well. Fondly, Ash

Nessy said...

He ended up eating it raw. I have to admit, it was just OK for me. Your way sounds delicious. Good to hear from you!