Saturday, March 24, 2018

Guatemala Sketchbook Trip - Part 3



On the fourth day of the Guatemala sketchbook workshop we visited Casa Santo Domingo.  This hotel was stunningly beautiful and I could barely take two steps into the front portal before I had to stop and take photos of the bowl of floating bougainvillea flowers that greeted us (below).  The hotel grounds are extensive and includes ruins, a giant tented wedding reception/church area, indoor and outdoor restaurant, a pool, and museums.  I am sure I didn't see the half of it. But what caught my eye that day were the ENORMOUS hanging bells hanging in the ruins near the outdoor church.  Several of us sat in the fancy chairs draped in white fabric (probably for a wedding) and sketched the bells.  I wish I had put a person into my sketch to give it some scale because the entire bell structure was probably 50 ft. high. I also added a little textile bling to the side of the sketch to give it a burst of color.




Above you can see one of the gorgeous floral arrangements in the lobby of the hotel.  Again, I don't think you can properly see the scale of this.  It might be better described as a "floral boat" in which I could easily have laid down.  And because it was "Semana Santa" they had a couple of "huertos" (below).  The photo of this vegetable design doesn't do it justice... it was so colorful and bountiful.  


On the way to Casa Santo Domingo I stopped to get my picture taken with this mountain of flowers.  There are benefits to living near the equator!


On the fifth day of the trip we visited the cathedral ruins.  As I mentioned in my last post, there was a severe earthquake in 1773 during which this building suffered extensive damage.  After that earthquake the capital was moved from Antigua to what is now Guatemala City.


It was lovely to sit among the ruins sketching to the sound of the doves cooing.  If you look closely you can see two of my fellow sketchers also drawing the ruins.




One of the most iconic spots in Antigua is "El Arco" (below).  Not only is the structure architecturally interesting...but you can also perfectly frame Volcán Agua through it.  So one morning a few of us woke up early to capture this scene before it got hazy. 


Little did I know that later the same day I would get an even bigger treat.  Not only did I get a photo of the volcano and the arch...but also "La Procesión" coming through! It is hazy because there was so much incense.



Witnessing this event was truly one of the highlights of the trip.  It is certainly not something you see everyday!  Normally I like to at least do a pencil sketch while in situ, but "La Procesión" was always on the move and I am not a purist.  So last night I decided to try and do a quick sketch of the whole scene by working from my photos.  My goal was to be a little looser/quicker than normal.   But I couldn't help myself and started drawing faces on the close people to try and convey the solemnity of the occasion.  I also used a bigger brush than normal for the buildings and really like how fast that made it go and the blobby effect.  As you might be able to tell I am not a new adopter.  Slowly I will loosen up...baby steps...baby steps.


The photo below was taken one day while walking home.  I liked the contrast of the bright building and this "quiet" woman.  I wondered what was in her bag, where she was off to and what she was thinking on her way to somewhere.


I usually try to write something of note at the bottom of these posts... but today I am going to leave you with a bowl of flowers and a lovely quote that my new friend Paula read to us on our last night of the trip.

"The day the mountains move has come.
I speak, but no one believes me.
For a time the mountains have been asleep.
But long ago, they danced with fire.
It doesn't matter if you believe this, my friends, as long as you believe:
All the sleeping women are now awake and moving."


by Yosano Akiko from 1911 first issue of Seito Japanese feminist magazine



If you would like to read the other posts about this trip here are the links:



No comments: