Sunday, October 16, 2016

African Violets



When my dad retired I needed something to decorate the tables at the reception party.  I looked around but couldn't find anything. I finally came across the perfect solution at Meier's of all places.  They were selling cute African violets and I bought 12 of them.  After the party I gave my mom three of them and I couldn't believe my eyes the next time I visited her house.  She had purchased pots, potting soil and fertilizer all specifically for African violets at the local garden store (Knollwood is amazing!).  I never would have known that you could even buy all those things...but boy were the plants thriving! The pots are great because it is a pot within a pot and you fill the outer pot with water and the plant absorbs what it needs.  They are called self-watering pots and I have now even seen them at Lowes.


When researching the plant I found out the plants are native to Tanzania and southeastern Kenya and that many of the species are endangered or threatened due to destruction of their native cloud forest habitat.  My mom also told me they don't like to get water on their leaves.  Wikipedia said that spilling cold water on the leaves can cause discoloration and that they plants don't like rapid changes in temperature.  I guess that is why they like those special pots. 


Another tidbit from Wikipedia is that African violets "have long been associated with mothers and motherhood."  It is interesting because my mom said her mother grew African violets and my next door neighbor said his mom grew African violets.  Last time I went up to visit my mom she had purchased yet another plant, so she now has five.  I think I am going to stick to my two remaining plants and see how it goes.



I also discovered there is an African Violet Society of America.  Their website is chock full of information on growing basics, propagation, watering, and grooming.  It sounds like there is a whole world of contests and events around designing arrangements with the plants.  And on the African Violet Society of Canada's page they have photos of various categories including standard, semi-miniature, miniature, and trailing African violets. 


But I can completely understand why people love this plant.  Last time I was at my mom's house I decided to take her plants outside for a little photo shoot.  I had the best time playing around with the gorgeous, moody lighting underneath her magnolia tree.  And they looked great tucked in around her hostas. Hopefully mine will thrive like her's have if my orange tabby boys will leave them alone.  If you have any African violet stories or advice leave me a comment!


No comments: