Thursday, October 27, 2016

Halloween Cookies



I didn't think I could love candy corns any more than I do but these cookies elevate them to a new level.  Every fall my mom used to make us these cookies at Halloween and my brother, sister and I would happily decorate them (half the candy corns on the cookies and half in our tummies!)  They are truly delicious cookies and if you like candy corns you must try them!   

Halloween Cookies

1 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 recipe powdered sugar frosting

In small mixer bowl, cream together butter or margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.  Stir in vanilla.  Stir together dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture.  Chill dough thoroughly, 3 to 4 hours.

On well-floured surface, roll dough 1/8 inch thick.  Cut with pumpkin-shaped or round cutter.  Bake on un-greased cookie sheet in 375 degree oven 6 to 8 minutes.  Cool on rack.  Frost with powdered sugar frosting and decorate with candy corns.

Powdered Sugar Frosting

4-5 tablespoons milk
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
dash salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix dry ingredients first, then add vanilla and milk.  I have to admit I don't always sift but it is smoother if you do.







If you would like to download a pdf of this recipe click here.











"Cookies are made of butter and love [and candy corns!]" 
- Norwegian proverb


No comments: