Saturday, March 16, 2013

March in the Garden


Last week I finally decided it was time to cut all the dried sedum stalks in the front flower beds.  Every year I say that I am going to leave them as long as possible for the birds but I have never seen a bird eating the seeds. Maybe they do when I'm not watching. 

But as I was saying, I was kneeling down cutting the stalks and pushing them into the garbage bin when I realized it was full.  When I stood up and looked at all my hard work sticking out of the bin I was amazed how incredibly beautiful it was.  I love the color of the white stalks and the muted burnt orange together.  I guess this supports the old saying that "one girl's trash can also be her treasure."

4 comments:

gina said...

i saw a visual treasure in my counter compost bowl one day and felt the same way...it was so beautiful, so of course, i took an image and then thought of how beautiful natural things are...without any help or fuss from us.
the colours in your image are soothing and beautiful. that mother nature!

Nessy said...

Yay, a comment! Thanks Gina!

Margot Madison Creative said...

Seeing the beauty in an otherwise 'spent' object is the eye of an artist. I also love that you considered the birds more than your garden appearance. I'm letting the birds use the shredding ornamental grasses for their spring nests...

Anonymous said...

it wasn't until I got into photography that I realized there is so much beauty in dead nature!! I just have to tell you what my security word is...."dingbat"!! HA!!