Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Wood



When I look at these photos of wood I am reminded of the cosmos and see whirling galaxies and black holes.  It brings to mind a strange experience I have sometimes when I first wake up in the morning.  In the few seconds before I even have a thought I can vaguely see vibrating cells that spin around a center that I can never quite see.  At times it looks like I am peering at a galaxy whirling in space inside of me and at other times it just looks like vibrating cells.  Then, poof, as soon as I have a thought it disappears. 

I have tried to google this and the closest thing I have found to describe it is the word "spanda."  Spanda is the "primordial vibration of the universe and of our being" and corresponds with "an awakening to a state of wonderment and subtle delight." (source Hridaya Yoga).


If you can imagine the photo above vibrating and swirling around in circles, that is what it looks like to me.  I am not sure if what I am seeing is Spanda, but I do love the concept.  It is described as the "vibration that pervades both the energies of one's body and the energies of the whole universe" (source Hridaya Yoga). 


I like the idea of playing with scale...to imagine the pine cone above as a supernova or the hole in a piece of wood as an endless black void.


“I promise you that the same stuff galaxies are made of, you are. The same energy that swings planets around stars makes electrons dance in your heart. It is in you, outside you, you are it. It is beautiful. Trust in this. And you your life will be grand.” ― Kamal Ravikant, Live Your Truth



I suppose it is just as possible for us to have galaxies whirling inside of us as it is that we are but a miniscule spec of life inside another cosmic being.  Who knows?  But it is lovely to ponder and just as pleasing to know that we will never solve this mystery...like reading a good book that never ends.

"We aren't here to solve the mystery.  We are only here to see that we are the mystery." - Matt Kahn



2 comments:

anne straus said...

I love hearing or reading or looking at your ideas and your photos. I am not on the same wave length, but I also love wood and the patterns and shapes from trees and Mother Nature. I think I go inside the earth, and not out to the galaxies as you seem to. But I really enjoyed this.

Nessy said...

Thanks Anne! I love hearing your response. I heard this song today on the radio and the words were, "I am in love with her body" and I thought, "I am in love with Mother Nature's body...it is so beautiful." In a way this blog is about worshiping that beautiful body.