Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Homemade Kindle Cover

Last week I finally got around to the dreaded task of cleaning out my closet when I came across the shirt below.  I have had this shirt since college and have not worn it in over a decade.  Every year when I try and get rid of it I just can't!  Why, you ask?... when it is wide enough to fit an elephant and short enough to bare my midriff.  Because there is something about the fabric that I love... the waffle texture and the color of the stripes are just too awesome. 

But this year I decided it was time to either give it to Goodwill or make something out of it.  So voila!...I made a homemade Kindle cover out of it.  Basically I measured my Kindle (4.5''x6.5'') and added a 5/8'' seam allowance.  In the end I cut two pieces that were 6''wide by 10'' tall (back), and 6'' wide by 7'' tall (front).  I then zig-zag stitched the edges to prevent fraying.  Next I put the good faces together and sewed around the edge and then turned it right-side out and top-stitched it to finish.  I had wanted my flap to be a bit longer but I lost some length when I lined up the stripes on my two pieces of fabric.  It always amazes me how a seam allowance gets eaten up and the final product ends up smaller than anticipated.  If I had to do it over again I would add an extra half inch all around and maybe a whole inch vertically for the flap.

In the end it turned out a bit wonky but I am happy with it.  There is something so satisfying about having an idea and enacting it.   And I am very pleased to finally find a good use for this old shirt, although it only encourages my hoarding habit.  C'est la vie.

No comments: