Now to get down to business. We have been getting Fava beans from Hazelfield Farms at the Hyde Park Farmer's Market and I just can't get enough of them. They are super delicious and in my opinion one of the most beautiful beans around. The pod itself is large and beefy and the color of the bean is a soft, dreamy green. They do require a little preparation but it is well worth the effort. Here is how George prepared ours:
- Open outer pod and take out beans. (It helps to have a knife because the pod can be strong). Admire their beautiful soft green bodies.
- Boil the beans for 2-3 minutes. This helps soften the coat.
- Put beans in an ice bath. (Probably not totally necessary, but it helps to cool them off).
- Peel the outer coat off beans.
- Eat raw or saute with olive oil or butter or add to a salad.
Check back soon because I am going to post a fava bean recipe that George came up with that blew me away!