Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Vintage Light Fixtures - Antiques Warehouse, Cincinnati



Last week I had the pleasure of visiting Gary Neltner and Al at the Antiques Warehouse.  It is always so much fun to walk through the warehouse and see what catches your eye.  I think you could walk through it a thousand times and each time you would see something different.  The amazing thing is I think Gary knows where everything is...from doorknobs and faucet handles down to the smallest cabinet hinges and buttons.  I guess you could call it organized chaos.


At first I was randomly collecting a few things to photograph (above), but then my friend John found a box of old flush mount light fixtures that had gorgeous details (below).  And the way the light was falling on them was really wonderful. 



And there was something so simple and lovely about the light socket above.  Although it is the most mundane of objects if you take time with it you start to realize it really is quite beautiful. I know, I know...I always say the same thing.  But it's true!  So on that note I will leave you with a wonderful quote by Leonard Koren:


"... beauty is a dynamic event that occurs between you and something else. Beauty can spontaneously occur at any moment given the proper circumstances, context, or point of view. Beauty is thus an altered state of consciousness, an extraordinary moment of poetry and grace.”



3 comments:

Margot Madison Creative said...

I like how both the beauty and the dust are captured in the photos.

April Eight said...

The things that were made about 120 years ago were so so gorgeous. It was a golden time for art/design/craft and so much of the Cincinnati area reaped the reward of being built right at that moment.

Cathy said...

Great fixtures and photos. I'd like to go there some day.