Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Newport Aquarium - Sketching/Photography



As I mentioned in my previous post I always feel torn between sketching and taking photos.  But sometimes I don't have a choice and this was the case with the octopus.  The octopus lives in a very dark room and I didn't bring my tripod so sketching was the only option.


The opposite was true of the puffer fish above.  He (or she) was moving around so much it was easier to take a photo.  Although I am always impressed how my sketching buddies are able to quickly render animals that won't sit still.  I think it involves a certain amount of creativity.  You have to guess how it would look if it were still and sometime you get it right and sometimes not so much.  It is something I know I need to work on and the penguins below gave me a chance.  They at least sat still for me for a minute or so before moving.






I also like to find time between photos and sketches to just enjoy the experience.  It was so nice at the end of our trip to sit and watch the penguins waddle about and swim and enjoy the company of good friends (both penguin and human).  All in all a very good trip.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Never a dull moment on the Nessie blog.