Thursday, November 30, 2017

Gourd, Cat, Light, Dark, and Silence



Yesterday I was thinking about taking down the Thanksgiving decorations and decided to do a little photo shoot of this gourd in a bowl.  I recently bought the bowl at the Ohio Valley Antique Mall and loved the way this gourd fit perfectly inside the ring of flowers.

I was happily surprised with how moody the light became when I started taking photos.  When the trend for "dark" photography started I wasn't so into it.  But as with all trends, they slowly seep into my pysche and soon enough I was loving all the beautiful, dark photos that were appearing everywhere.  And when I looked at these photos on screen, I was struck by how the gourd seemed to glow and the darkness created an exquisite silence that seemed to emanate from the photos. 


That is, until my silent session was photo-bombed by one very curious cat who was determined to get my attention.  But it didn't take much convincing to turn my "gourd" photo shoot into a "cat and gourd" photo shoot.  And I ended up loving this top-down shot of Otus sniffing the gourd.


The photo below didn't fit with my dark and moody theme but I thought Otus's stance was so cute I had to include it too.


In the end, the cat, the gourd and I all settled down and enjoyed the silent play of light and dark on gourd and cat.


No comments: