Thursday, June 17, 2021

Mid Century Modern House Sketch



Every time I draw someone's house it is an adventure.  It is sort of like reading a book where you know the main character will experience trials and tribulations and beauty and there is risk involved.  You don't know how it will turn out...or if it will turn out at all... or if their actions will lead them to ruin or success. 

The main difficulty with this illustration was the thin white scrolled columns on the porch. I debated whether or not to try and leave white areas white from the beginning.  But I knew the lines were too thin and I would probably not be able to do that.  I also considered using a masking pen, but sometimes the masking fluid comes out globby.  And sometimes removing the masking can rip the paper.  So I decided to use a white pen.  I knew I liked my Uniball Signo white pen and realized mine had dried up when I did a sample test.  When I went to the art store, the woman working the front desk was super helpful and also suggested the thin tipped Posca pens.  In the end I used both...the Posca for the straight lines and the Uniball for the scrolls.


I can't tell you how nerve wracking it is to work for days on an illustration and to then have one shot at making perfect white lines.  The fear of messing it up grows daily.  I try not to think too much about it and I just dive in and hope for the best.  For the most part the white pens worked great.  In a couple spots they petered out and I had to make the lines twice.  I can't tell you how relieved I was when I finished those lines!  

"Each of us must confront our own fears, must come face to face with them. How we handle our fears will determine where we go with the rest of our lives. To experience adventure or to be limited by the fear of it."
― Judy Blume


Below you can see some work in progress photos.  The first one shows the inked-in pencil drawing.     





Above you can see my messy desk.  I like to work in front of the computer so I can zoom in on the photo if I need to.  Below is a close-up of the early layers of watercolors.


"Architecture is basically a container of something.
I hope they will enjoy not so much the teacup, but the tea."
– Yoshio Taniguchi

The final chapter of this illustration's story was meeting the home owner.  She invited me in and I got to meet her niece and nephew and see her beautiful art collection.  I learned her house was built in 1954 by noted Cincinnati architect Leslie Moss.  I got to see some of the interior details like the curved cove ceilings and the welcoming open split-level entry way.  The house also includes a well-preserved pink-and-green tiled bathroom and a yellow-and-black tiled kitchen.  The current owner removed carpet that had been there for decades to reveal pristine oak floors.  She also decorated the house with mid-century furniture and decor that accents the house perfectly.  Her art collection was incredible and includes work by Cincinnati artists Terence Hammonds, Dylan Tennison, and Jolie Harris...and now me!

I so enjoy seeing people's homes inside and out.  It was a delight to meet my neighbor and to illustrate her house.  It is a special treat when the homeowner clearly loves their house and appreciates all the little details.  A big thank you to her for supporting me on this art adventure.   

No comments: