Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Maple Helicopters



On my walk last week I came upon these maple helicopters and their beautiful color and ruffled wings stopped me in my tracks.  The next day I returned with my camera and took a ton of photos because I have a crazy idea in my head.  I don't want to spoil it and it might take me a while so you have to wait to see what it is.

When I was googling maple helicopters I was surprised to learn that you can eat these.  You can read about the details here but the gist of it is to harvest when they are green and then boil them.  I think it may be too late this year for us to eat them because they are all brown now.  But if you are still able to try it where you live let me know how it goes!

2 comments:

Jodi C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jodi C said...

We have something similar but simpler-just one pair of "leaflets". I always thought ours looked like fairy wings